Black Finn of Preachain
Vindiorix "Black Finn" Ordovix
|Award & Office Badges|
Vindiorix "Black Finn" Ordovix of Clan Preachain, Fir naLeon, the Shire of Mountain Freehold, and the Northern Army.
A 1st Century CE Briton of the Ordovices tribe.
Forester, fighter, brewer, and half-ass maker of various things.
Vindiorix Ordovix is a late 1st Century CE Briton of the Ordovices Tribe from what is now western Wales. He served for a time as a legionary with Legio V Alaudae along the Rhine frontier and during the Batavian Rebellion of 70 CE. When he learned Rome was campaigning against the tribes of western Britain in 74 CE, he deserted from the Legion and made his way back to defend his homeland. Four years later, in 78 CE, Rome successfully defeated the Ordovices and conquered Mona. Vindiorix fled Britannia and served as an auxiliary cavalryman with Ala Gallorum et Thracum Constantium in Syria. He now serves with Legio III Polaris (3rd Division of the East Kingdom's Northern Army) and is perpetually stuck in the year 85 CE.
See "Masterwork Submission: Persona" for additional information: Paper
I enjoy fighting, learning and teaching. I strive to be a better singles and melee fighter, and particularly enjoy planning and leading battles. I currently serve as a sergeant in 3rd Division of the Northern Army, and am active in both the Royal Forester's Guild and the Brewer's Guild. In addition to improving my own skills I am passionate about teaching others. Much of my teaching focuses on basics for new fighters, forester skills (both wilderness living skills and actual medieval forester topics), and historical brewing. I also particularly enjoy studying historical military tactics and strategy, comparing them to modern US military doctrine, and applying them to SCA battles.
Group Memberships and Affiliations
- Shire of Mountain Freehold
- Clan Preachain (Household)
- Fir naLeon (Household)
- East Kingdom's Northern Army, Third Division
- East Kingdom Royal Forester's Guild
- East Kingdom Brewer's Guild
- Stonemarche Apothecary Guild
- Vindiorix is squired to Master Tiernan Mac Alpin
Awards and Recognition
- Award of Arms - Panteria 2018
- Sliver Brooch - Mudthaw 2019
- Silver Tyger - Mimir's Well 2020
- Golden Lyre - Ethereal Court February 2021
East Kingdom Forester's Guild:
- Forester - Panteria 2018
- Ranger (Order of Saint Hubert) - Endewearde Hunt 2018
- Master Forester - Mimir's Well 2020
East Kingdom Brewer's Guild:
- Brewer - Birka 2019
- Journeyman - Ethereal 2021
Offices and Positions
- Former Keeper of the Royal Forest of Mountain Freehold in the Shire of Mountain Freehold (2016 - 2019)
- Sergeant in 3rd Division, Northern Army, East Kingdom
SCA Battle Tactics
- SCA Battle Planning: A primer on how to plan large-scale SCA battles using appropriate tactical fundamentals (December 2019) Paper
- Armor Tips for New Fighters (2020): Paper
- Game of Thrones Winterfell Defense Critique and Tactical Decision Game (not period, but fun) Critique Tactical Decision Game
- Tactical Decision Game - Scenarios 1 and 2 (attrition, overmatch, and flanking) (2021): Scenario Solution
- Tactical Decision Game - Scenario 3 (analyzing the adversary) (2021): Scenario Solution
- Tactical Decision Game - Scenario 4 (reserves and feints) (2021): Scenario Solution
- Introduction to the EK Royal Foresters Guild (October 2016)
- Basic Forester Skills (October 2016)
- Basic Knots for SCA Camping (October 2016)
- Wild Edibles and Medicines (February 2017)
- Introduction to Tracking (April 2017)
- SCA Period Packs and Straps (AKA "How to Carry Stuff") (February 2018)
- Wild Edibles and Domestic Fires (May 2018 and August 2019), co-taught with Corotica "Clovis" Senebelenae of Preachain, Pennsic Independent article here: PI 9 August 2019
- A Romano-Celtic Cena (September 2018), co-taught with Corotica "Clovis" Senebelenae of Preachain
- Forester Kit (AKA "What Should I Carry, and Why?") (March 2019)
- Reconnaissance Patrol Class Appendix 1 Appendix 2 (May 2019)
- Children's Class: Introduction to Tracking (May 2019)
- Experimental Bronze Age Mead Class taught at BrewU (August 2020) Class Notes Enclosure 1 Enclosure 2
- Romano-Celtic Hard and Soft Kit: Working Toward a More Historically Accurate Persona (September 2020)
East Kingdom Brewer's Guild Entries
- First entry: Hydromeli (ca 77 CE), Panel Score 94 of 100 points, Panel Link, Documentation, Addendum
- Third entry: Ninkasi - Sumerian Ale (ca 1800 BCE), Panel Score 96 of 100 points, Documentation
- Fourth entry: Meadowsweet Mead (Bronze Age Scotland), Panel Score 63 of 70 points (0-30 for Workmanship not scored because it was an online paneling at BrewU due to COVID-19), see class on Meadowsweet Mead above for more details, Documentation
- Fifth entry: Brakkot (ca 14th Century CE), panel score 93 of 100 points, Documentation
- Leather work (pouches, sheaths, and bog shoes) for Corotica and my persona.
- Armor I made for myself.
- Otzi-style pack frames based on artifacts and documentation from the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology. Link
- Roy Croft pack frame, based on Mors Kochanski's book Northern Bushcraft. Anachronistic, but a reasonable and technologically legitimate approximation of period packs.
- Stick (award winning entry at the 2018 Shire of Mountain Freehold Feast of Fools Silly A&S competition).
- Teaching burning in a bowl and spoon with coals, Early Period A&S, Pennsic 48.
- Celtic Shields, based on period examples but modified for SCA heavy combat.
- Reconnaissance and Security: European Medieval Military Doctrine, scored 32.5 of 48 points at EK K&Q A&S Competition at Mudthaw 2019, Paper Annotated Bibliography
- Masterwork Submission: Persona, accepted as my East Kingdom Royal Forester's Guild masterwork submission in December 2019, Paper
- Ninkasi Ale: recreation of an ale recipe based on the "Hymn to Ninkasi," scored 38 2/3 of 48 points at EK K&Q A&S Competition in 2021 placing as a finalist,Paper Score Sheet
In Case of Court
Please inform my wife, Corotica "Clovis" Senebelenae (Jennifer Davis) if I need to attend court.
In mundane life I am Justin Davis, a career military officer and outdoors enthusiast. I dabbled in the SCA in college but only really became active starting in 2016 with the Shire of Mountain Freehold.
Vindiorix "Black Finn" Ordovix is in NO WAY related to Jack Flynn the infamous poacher known to frequent the forests of Mountain Freehold.