Berakha bat Mira v'Shlomo
Berakha bat Mira v'Shlomo
|Resides: Canton of Whyt Whey|
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
|Award & Office Badges|
Berakha bat Mira v'Shlomo plays a Roman Jewish woman living sometime between the years 0 and 300 CE. She is primarily interested in music, fiber arts, and the history of the Jewish people from Antiquity through the early-Modern period (~1650). She lives in the Canton of Whyt Whey, Crown Province of Ostgardr, in the East Kingdom.
The primary persona of Berakha bat Mira v'Shlomo is that a Jewish person living in the Roman empire, sometime between the year 0 and 300 CE. Her family has roots in the Roman-occupied land of Israel, and like many Jews in that time and place, are multi-lingual, speaking Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, and Latin. Her family are successful merchants, and some are scholars.
The secondary persona of Berakha bat Mira v'Shlomo is an Ottoman Jewish person in the mid to late 16th C, who has recently relocated to Persia to dwell with her cousins. The family has roots in the Iberian peninsula (and other parts of Europe), but like many other Jews, they moved east after the Expulsion of 1492. The family is now widespread across Europe and the eastern Mediterranean. Many are merchants and artisans. With this persona, Berakha is a member of the House of the Lotus, and pursues the history and evolution of Jewish music as a member.
She/Her/Hers or They/Them/Theirs
- Waitstaff and Coffee Barista at Kafe Merhaba, Pennsic War, 2011-2019
- Class Instructor, Pennsic War, 2015
- Class Instructor, Pennsic War, 2016
Projects & Publications
- Introduction to Hebrew Grammar (taught at Pennsic 2015 and 2016; updated and revised 2020)
- The Evolution of the Hebrew Language
- Ottoman Dress in the 16th C, or How to Dress Like a Turkish Noble! (taught in SCA Powerpoint Parties in March 2020)
- Introduction to the Hebrew Calendar
Projects in Progress
- Database of Roman Jewish naming conventions from the year 0 to 600
- Expanded Class List (currently in progress):
-Anti-Jewish bigotry in Medieval Europe
-The Jews of Ashkenaz
-A Look At Haggadot
-A Look at Kashrut and Its Evolution in Period
-Expanded Hebrew Songbook for Teaching and Performance
-Introducing "SCA Appropriate" Hebrew, Aramaic, and Yiddish language songs to the SCA that are either period, or reference documented period poetry and themes
Bardic and Performances
Berakha is the vocalist with Ishtar, a band that focuses on Balkan, Arab, Turkish, and near-Eastern music that often performs at SCA events. With Ishtar, Berakha has performed at numerous Pennsic Wars, camp parties, and bardic circles. She has also performed at events and bardic circles both solo and with friends, including with the Foxy Bard and Drunk and Disorderly.
Berakha has performed for the following events and projects:
- Pennsic Wars 45, 47, and 48
- Barleycorn (September 2019)
- Twelfth Night (Jan. 2020)
- Bear's Tavern (March 2020)
- "Sing We and Chant It" Ostgardr Crown Province music video, organized by Bardic Champion and Project Coordinator, Armiger Catelin Straquhin (Summer 2020)
Households and Affiliated Groups
House of the Lotus
Osmanlı Mehter Takımı (Janissary Band)
Awards and Recognition
Recognized with a Token of Inspiration during Ethereal Court, June 13, 2020
In Case of Court
In case of court, please notify Berakha via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or message their personal Facebook. Advanced notice is preferred over surprise. Her persona is female, but gender-neutral language is also welcome. If possible, she would prefer for any awards or scrolls to be held until in-person court can safely resume.