Lady Aziza al-Shiraziyya
|Award & Office Badges|
Lady Aziza al-Shiraziyya.
Joined the SCA in 2013. Home barony is the Barony of Settmour Swamp.
Calligrapher and Illuminator for East Kingdom Tyger Signet 2014-2017.
- Settmour Swamp Baronial Arts & Sciences Champion, 2018.
- Order of the Silver Brooch, 2016.
- Order of the Ivory Tower [Baronial Award], 2015.
- Award of Arms, River Wars 2014
1530s Safavid Persia [Iran]
Aziza comes from a family of bookbinders tied to one of the many medical madrasas in Shiraz.. The family is dedicated to preserving the extensive book collections of the madrasa as well as undertaking rebinding and illumination projects from wealthy patrons of the school. She is one of the heirs that will one day help run the family business. Shiraz at the time is a bustling center of arts, science and culture, and many of its residents are foreign visitors.
Aziza is currently betrothed to a young Persian man of the artisan class who is studying European painting technique and materials in Venice. She is fond of learning new things as well as her own traditional pastimes of archery, illumination and book arts.
Activities & Interests
Arts & Sciences
- Persona Research
- Arts Education
- The Scribal Traditions of Medieval East Africa
Classes & Demos
- Modern Color Wheels and Color Theory
- Novice Scribal 101
- Family Printmaking Workshop
Aziza is also an OK thumb ring archer. She has fun and looks cool doing it, at least.
- Apprenticed to Maîtresse Jehannine de Flandres as of Mudthaw A.S.51
- Member of House Erlendsstaðir
Volunteer Work & Community Projects
- Ducal Challenge 2018: Troll and Exchequer
- Pennsic 47: Server, East Kingdom State Dinner
- March 2017: assisted in the organization and running of Artisan's Row, Mudthaw.
- July 2016: Designed, organized, and ran beginner's Scribal workshop for all ages at East Kingdom Novice Day 2016. Published a free pamphlet for beginner scribes.
- June 2016: Organized and co-taught printmaking workshop for all ages at Artisan's Village 2016.
- May 2016: Designed, organized, and ran printmaking workshop for all ages at Quest for Wit and Wisdom 2016. Donated materials for charity auction, and assisted in its assembly.
- November 2015: Organized and Mediated an Arts and Sciences Artisan discussion at 100 Minutes War.
- May 2015: Designed, organized, and ran printmaking workshop for all ages at Quest for Wit and Wisdom 2015. Donated artwork for charity auction.
- November 2014: Volunteered at troll for 100 Minutes War
- June 2014: Helped design Champions Archery Shoot and Populace Shoot at Pennsic 43.
- April 2014: Helped create archery targets for Quest for Wit and Wisdom 2014.
- March 2014: Digitized Settmour Swamp arms for website, sticker, and other promotional uses.
Projects & Publications
Displays and Workshops
- Pennsic 47: Arts & Sciences Display Manuscript Culture of Ethiopia & Eritrea
- March 2017: Mudthaw Arts & Sciences Display, Ethiopian Talismanic Healing Scrolls.
- November 2016: St. Eligius A&S Novice Category Display Winner,Ethiopian Talismanic Healing Scrolls
- July 2016: Hands-On All Ages Scribal Workshop, East Kingdom Novice Day.
- June 2016: Hands-On All Ages Printmaking display and Workshop, Artisan's Row.
- May 2016:Hands-On All Ages Printmaking display and Workshop, Quest for Wit and Wisdom.
- November 2015: Mediated an Arts and Sciences gathering and discussion at 100 Minutes War
- May 2015: Hands-On All Ages Printmaking display and Workshop, Quest for Wit and Wisdom
- July 2016: Hands-On All Ages Introduction to Scribal Workshop, East Kingdom Novice Day.
- October 2014: First A&S Display on Woodblock Printmaking, Settmour Swamp Day of Champions.
- Pennsic 47: Manuscript Traditions of East Africa Research Lecture
- Pennsic 47: Color Theory Workshop and Advanced Color Theory Workshop
- Pennsic 46: Color Theory Workshop
- February 2017: Scribal 101, Bellringers.
- Color Theory Workshop, Pennsic 46, August 2017.
- Ethiopian Talismanic Healing Scroll, St. Eligius 2016.
- Scribal 101, an introductory pamphlet to getting involved in the scribal arts. Click here to download the PDF