Aurelia Alfaiata d'Alcáçova
Photo by Becky Beasley Photography, 2017
Per chevron sable and vert, a chevron ermine between two pairs of needles in saltire and an owl maintaining in its talon a carnation slipped and leaved Or (Device Pending)
|Award & Office Badges|
I discovered the SCA in late 2008 and attended my first Pennsic War in 2009. In my first few years in the Society, I was a PhD candidate dividing my time between two countries. Although long seasons abroad prevented my full-time participation during that period, I have been deeply involved with research and the fiber arts since the beginning of my SCA life. In my mundane life, I am a fourth generation seamstress and have enjoyed applying the newly-discovered historical costuming and embroidery techniques to the crafts I learned at an early age.
As a native Portuguese speaker, I draw immense pleasure in translating period texts in Portuguese and Galician-Portuguese for future use in the Society.
I am also a combat archer and am honored to serve my Kingdom in this capacity.
I am cataloguing the projects I have worked on over the years. The documentation for each project will be added as time permits. You can check the current progress at Alfaiata's project site: The Female Tailor.
I am a female tailor (alfaiata) from Portugal living in the late 15th / early 16th century. I live in the village of Alcaçovas, the place where the treaty that ended the War of the Castilian Succession was signed in 1479. The peace treaty between Portugal and Spain has given Portugal control over most of the Atlantic territories, known or yet to be discovered. What a deal that was!
Land of Vera Cruz (Brazil), our latest colony, has been providing us with exquisite gems, metals and all the cotton my customers can afford. One of these days, I will have for myself those beautifully colored feathers from their weird birds.
I do my best to be adaptable and accommodate my client’s requests, since the presence of Mouros (Moors) and the close relationships with the Spanish Empire have brought some interesting modifications to our clothing and customs. The Flamengos (Flemish) who have taken residency at the Azores lately are coming to me with even stranger tailoring demands.
Preferred Title and Pronunciation Guide
- Apprentice to Countess Vienna de la Mer
- Craftsman at Keepers of Athena's Thimble (EK Embroidery Guild):
- Period competency in Canvas Work;
- Competency in Counted Thread, Openwork, Pleated Embroidery, Appliqué, Needlelace, and Lacis.
- Lacemaker at Arachne's Web Lace Guild (EK Lace Guild):
- Breath competency in Embroidered Lace, Sprang, Needlelace, and Bobbin Lace.
- 1st place, Research Paper Category, St. Eligius Arts and Sciences Competition, 2018
- Winner, Arachne's Web Guild Challenge, EK 50 Year Celebration, 2018
- Winner, 1 of 5 prizes, Athena's Thimble Guild Challenge, EK 50 Year Celebration, 2018
- 1st place, Artisans Category, St. Eligius Arts and Sciences Competition, 2017
- 1st place, Master Alexander Challenge, St. Eligius Arts and Sciences Competition, 2017
- 1st place, Southern Region War Camp, 2017
- 1st place, Black Gryphon Inn, 2017
- Laurel's Prize sponsored by Mistress Iofa merch Macsen, Gulf Wars XXVI, 2017
- 1st place, Autocrat's Challenge (9th-11th century Scandinavia), Bellringers, 2017
- 1st place, Southern Region War Camp, 2016
- 1st place, A&S Baronial Champion Competition, Barony of Settmour Swamp, Quest for Wit and Wisdom, 2016
- Court Barony, Mudthaw, 2019
- Blue Tyger Legion as member of the Southern Army, Bhakaili Company of Archers, Pennsic XLVII, 2018
- Order of the Maunche, Balfar's Challenge, 2018
- Company of the Pennon of the East, Spring Crown Tourney, 2017
- Order of the Gryphon's Talon, Canton of Gryphonwald, Black Gryphon Inn, 2017
- Order of the Silver Brooch, Mudthaw, 2017
- Order of the Bronze Tower (Service), Barony of Settmour Swamp, Pennsic XLV, 2016
Offices & Positions
- Gift Coordinator, Wilhelm I and Vienna I
- A&S Champion, Barony of Settmour Swamp, 05/2016 to 09/2017
- Lady-in-waiting, Brenwen II
- Lady-in-waiting, Gabriella II
- Pennsic XLVIII, 2019 - Beginning Lacis Embroidery
- Quest for Wit and Wisdom XXXV, 2019 - Artisan's Row - Netting for Embroidery
- String Thynge, 2018 - Turk's Head Knots for Decorative Accents
- Quest for Wit and Wisdom XXXIII, 2017 - Etched Copper Cases
Projects & Publications
- I am cataloguing the projects I have worked on over the years. The documentation for each project will be added as time permits. You can check the current progress at Alfaiata's project site: The Female Tailor.
- Translation of period Portuguese books and documents for cataloguing period names, occupations and other information from the late-period Iberian Peninsula.
- Historia dos milagres do Rosario da Virgem Nossa Senhora, Padre João Rebello da Companhia de Jesus, 1605 (ongoing)
- Excerpts from Chancelaria de Dom Afonso V (Chancellery of Dom Afonso V of Portugal), 1438-1481 (ongoing)
- Translation from German, description of an extant 13th century reliquary, 2017
- Throne cases, Barony of Settmour Swamp, 2016
- Sheet walls for the Barony of Settmour Swamp encampment, Pennsic, 2016
- Translator (English-Portuguese) for fighter's practices in Brazil, involving House Bloodguard and the local historical society (Sistema de Combate e Artes Marciais Medievais), 2011
- Royal Room Liaison, Mudthaw, 2019
- Tokens (650), Mudthaw, 2018
- Shadow Judge, King and Queen's Arts and Sciences Championship, 2018
- Baronial A&S Competition Judge, Barony of Settmour Swamp, Ducal Challenge, 2017
- Baronial A&S Competition Coordinator, Barony of Settmour Swamp, Ducal Challenge, 2017
- Token Group Effort, Quest for Wit and Wisdom XXXIII, 2017
- Auction Coordinator, Quest for Wit and Wisdom XXXIII, 2017
- Tokens (70), Black Gryphon Inn, 2017
- Troll, Quest for Wit and Wisdom XXXII, 2016
- Troll, Mudthaw, 2016
- Tokens (850), Mudthaw, 2016
- Troll, Black Gryphon Inn, 2016
- Tokens (65), Black Gryphon Inn, 2016
- Kitchen Staff, Seraglio, 2008
- Clean-up for various events throughout the years.
- Iberian peninsula culture and fashion
- Tailoring techniques
- Combat and Target Archery
- Clan na'Bheithir
- Bhakaili Company of Archers, Southern Army
- Artisans Colony of Revelwood
In Case of Awards
- Please contact Sir Donnan FitzGerald. He will speak on my behalf regarding my preferences for specific awards. Countess Vienna de la Mer should be consulted and notified of any court appearances.
- Scribal preferences:
- I have no restrictions regarding scroll size. Wall space is not an issue.
- As I have a Portuguese persona, Iberian or Flemish styles are fitting. However, any late-period scrolls are welcome.
- I am obsessed with owls, a lover of bats, amused by birds associated with omens, and fond of cats big and small.