Arachne's Web Lace Guild
- 1 History
- 2 Categories of Lace
- 3 Ranking within the Guild
- 4 Levels of Expertise
- 5 Members
- 6 More Information
Arachne's Web once existed throughout the Known World. We have no recorded documents from that time, so have created a new guild based on documents from other Kingdoms (where it had not gone extinct). There has been new scholarship since those early days, and we have striven to include this in our new documents.
Categories of Lace
- Bobbin Lace is constructed by plaiting or interlacing several pairs of threads. These threads are initially wound around bobbins. The work is done on a flat surface (or pillow) and is secured with pins. Named bobbin lace types are generally post-period.
- Period sources for patterns include, but are not limited to Le Pompe I&II, Nuw Modelbuk, Elizabeth Parasole.*
- Styles include, but are not limited to plaited lace, leaves & tallies, tape lace, medallions
- Uses include edgings, applique, insertions
- Materials include linen, silk, and metal
- aka: White Work, Pulled Work, Drawn Work
- This is made by making embroidered holes in a base fabric
- Pulled lace stitches in period include eyelet, fagot stitch,
- Cutwork stitches in period include buttonhole, nun stitch,
- aka: Reticella, Teneriffe, Punto in Aria
- This is made by working embroidery stitches into one another, or on a form using support threads.
- Reticella stitches in period include buttonhole,
- Punto in Aria stitches in period include buttonhole,
- Teneriffe stitches in period include weaving, knot, wheel, loop
Lacis / Filet Lace
- aka: Buratto, Mezza Mandolina
- This is done upon a net or woven foundation by
embellishing with embroidery. It may also be made by knotting a single thread into netting and creating a pattern as the netting is constructed.
- Period sources for patterns include, but are not limited to Vinciolo *
- Stitches in period include darning, linen, loop,
- This is created by knotting a number of threads.
- This is created by Interlacing warp threads are held rigid on a frame without a weft.
- Work is produced upon a loom. It may be worked either by interlacing the warp threads and holding them in place with the weft or by otherwise creating an openwork fabric.
Lace Tools: Pillows
- This is a new category to the guild to cover hand made bobbin lace pillows. An expanded description will be coming soon.
Lace Tools: Bobbins
- This is a new category to the guild to cover hand made bobbin lace bobbins. An expanded description will be coming soon.
Ranking within the Guild
The only requirement for membership is an interest in lace and lace making. Proposed Badge: Sable, a spider's web Argent
Lace Mistress (Master)
Levels of Expertise
This section will contain a list of members and links to their Wiki's [Alric the Younger]