Alison at Fall Crown 2019
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Or, a wyvern azure and on a chief sable three quatrefoils Or barbed vert.
(Fieldless) On a quatrefoil sable barbed vert, a cross clechy Or.
|Award & Office Badges|
Having been raised on tales of Pennsic from her aunt and uncle, of Great Courts, lords and ladies, kings and queens, since the time it first appeared at Cooper’s Lake, with the stories of people who sought to recreate an ancient chivalric way of life during their time at the Great Pennsic War, Alison was eager to find the SCA near home. In 2002, she joined the Shire of Hartshorn-dale and happily immersed herself and her family into the SCA.
For all the communities she has been in prior to this, she has never felt so at home, among people who love the same things she does, especially the amazing craftsmen found here, the making of things, including cloth, garments, armor, tools, metalwork, illuminations, carvings, and all the amazingly talented people who embody the SCA.
Alison Wodehalle lived in late 14th century southeastern England, in Kent. Alison can be found borrowing from other cultures such as 15th century southern India, or 10th century Sweden. Her passion is needlework and costuming.
Offices & Positions
- 2003-2005 Deputy Pursuivant for Hartshorn-dale.
- -More than 20 submissions of devices, and badges, and about 10 names.
- 2005-2009 Chatelaine for Hartshorn-dale.
- -Held Newcomer meetings every month
- 2007-2009 Southern Region Deputy Chatelaine.
- -Held semi-annual meetings for the southern region
- 2009-2013 East Kingdom Chatelaine.
- -Wrote the Greeting and Mission statement for on the EK chatelaine webpage.
- -Revised the Chatelaine policies after about 40 hours of research of the policies of other kingdoms, and the policies of the EK Seneschal to maintain consistency between offices.
- -Refined the role of the regional deputies so they aligned with the duties of the seneschal regional deputies.
- -Trained my deputy to be able to take over the role should the need arise.
- (After stepping down, Alison took a break to finish her degree)
- Deputy to the Branch Polling Clerk (A deputy to the EK Seneschal). Oct 2015 to 2019.
- -Received and counted every polling during this period, and forwarded to kingdom seneschal. This was during the year that seemingly every barony conducted a polling.
- September 2018 to present Chair for Committee re: potential change in group status to Barony
- -Conducted meetings for the Hartshorn-dale populace at regular intervals from October 2018 to September 2019 The populace discussed items needed to change status including buy-in from members of group, completing the list given to us by kingdom, having a section in the charter regarding the coronet, and whether there will be awards and what form those will take.
- -Wrote sections to be added to group charter regarding coronet, researched other baronial charters and by-laws, and held discussions with populace, editing to incorporate ideas from populace.
- -Submitted four new pieces of heraldry for Hartshorn-dale that will potentially become awards (These have since been registered)
- -In 2019 the decision was made to hold until we had more deputies for our officers, to hold polling at a later date.
- -Polling went out in summer 2021. In the 2 years since deciding to hold the polling, we have not only filled the primary deputy positions, but have deputies for nearly every office and two for seneschal, with several people already looking ahead to fall elections. We will not have results for several months.
- December 2018- December 2019 Pursuivant for Hartshorn-dale. Looking forward to working with the heraldic community again!
- -remaining herald-at-large after stepping up as seneschal. Hoping to train others in heraldry!
- -Submitted 7 pieces of heraldry and two names
- January 2020-December 2021 Seneschal Shire of Hartshorn-dale.
- -Created a weekly on-line gathering called "Brunch with Hartshorn-dale" to help with group socialization post Covid.
- -Working with HHD membership to completely revise Hartshorn-dale's group charter, taking a section at each business meeting.
- -Working with a deputy new to the role so that he can learn how to step into the seneschal role.
- Jan 2022 to current Deputy Seneschal
Event Steward Greenlane (a weekend long camping & demo event for approximately 10,000 visitors):
- Sep 2004
- Sep 2005
- Sep 2006
- Sep 2007
- Sep 2008
Event Steward Nova Schola (Schola event running 6 classrooms and a full dayboard):
- Mar 2007
- Mar 2008
- Mar 2009
Registrar and Head Gate for Sundered Shields and Masked Measures:
- Oct 2008
- Oct 2009
Registrar and Head Gate for Spring Crown Tourney. Apr 2011
Registrar and Head Gate for Dining with Lorenzo. Apr 2012
Event Steward for the known world event: Known World Arts and Sciences Symposium March 2018
- -Put together bid package, created budget, and staff, organized classes, and was able to attract two internationally known speakers who are both well respected researchers and authors to to teach classes and give keynote address. This symposium offered 7 tracks of classes on nearly everything A&S over a weekend, as well as evening activities and an A&S display.
Classes and other service
- Gothic Fitted Dress. demo and lecture class at Pennsic and Southern Region War Camp
- -2004, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011
- Survey of Sleeves. demo and lecture at Pennsic:
- -2006, 2007
- Contact person for the Shire of Hartshorn-dale: Philadelphia Inquirer for human interest article about the SCA in June 2008.
- Assisting at the many demos held by Hartshorn-dale from Fall 2002 to 2010, including the 20 or so that held the summer of 2004 when the Montgomery County library system had a medieval theme for its summer reading program
- Coordinator Newcomer Social at Pennsic:
- -2009, 2011
- Wrote the following guides for Newcomers, some of which have posted across the Known World, and on Stefan’s Florilegium (permissions were requested)
- -AoA’s, Barons, and Laurels: a Guide to Awards in the SCA
- -Attending Your First Feast
- -Camping and Pennsic
- -Attending Your First Event
- -Minimum Requirement: Garb!
- -Persona, Do I Need One?
- -What Language Are You Speaking? (A dictionary of SCA terminology)
- Taught Newcomer classes at Pennsic on the above topics
- -2007 to 2012
- Taught Newcomer Recruitment and Retention class at Pennsic 2012
- Seamstress: Investiture gown: Gothic Fitted Dress for a Baroness of Bhakail
- Seamstress: Coronation gown: 2 Gothic Fitted Dresses for Queen Aikaterine
- Held several workshops for the Gothic Fitted Dress at home or other people's homes.
- Taught ‘Felt Needlebook: Make and Take’ at Pennsic
- -2017, 2018, 2019
- Co-hosted roundtable on ‘Site Tokens’ at Pennsic 2018 and 2019
- Taught Silk Painting at Pennsic (2 years, I think these are the years)
- -2013, 2014
- Hosted and taught Silk Banner painting at home
- -2014, 2015
- Made approximately 30 painted silk favors for distribution to youth fighters at Pennsic 2016
- Seamstress for several embroidered hoods given away and one for auction.
- Applique in the Middle Ages
- -2021 Embroidery Schola (online BBM hosting)
- Pennsic Service: Alison has attended every Pennsic since joining the SCA in 2002, and feels that it takes everyone to make an event of this size run, so she always does a shift or two at Troll, a safety/security shift, and teaches a couple classes. She occasionally retains for their majesties and/or their highnesses at Pennsic. She also runs her encampment.
- AoA 2005
- Seamstress to the Crown 2007
- Order of the Silver Crescent 2015
- Order of the Maunche 2019
I have enjoyed many activities in the SCA including Dance, particularly English Country Dance and the French Bransles; archery (as long as I use my lighter weight bow, so it does not twang my arm); thrown weapons (I enjoy throwing axes, knives still scare me a little); lastly I enjoy painting, I've made a number of painted tables and boxes, as well as my camp's gate, which are painted with intricate illuminated scenes usually using 13th - 14th century manuscripts as inspiration. I would love to build a medieval garden in my yard, and a labyrinth in my garden.
My blog http://wodehallesmusings.net/
Keeper's of Athena's Thimble https://thimble.eastkingdom.org/
In Case of Court
Alison does better without being surprised. Contact Brandr Bjorndall (Brendan Weir) or Milissent de Heathwaite (Colleen Heath). Should a question of peerage arise, a writ is preferred. Willing to be recognized in a virtual court.
Pronouns are she/her