Alison at Fall Crown 2019
|Awards: Order of Precedence|
Or, a wyvern azure and on a chief sable three quatrefoils Or barbed vert.
(Fieldless) On a quatrefoil sable barbed vert, a cross clechy Or.
|Award & Office Badges|
Having been raised on tales of Pennsic from her aunt and uncle, of Great Courts, lords and ladies, kings and queens, since the time it first appeared at Cooper’s Lake, with the stories of people who sought to recreate an ancient chivalric way of life during their time at the Great Pennsic War, Alison was eager to find the SCA near home. In 2002, she joined the Shire of Hartshorn-dale and happily immersed herself and her family into the SCA.
For all the communities she has been in prior to this, she has never felt so at home, among people who love the same things she does, especially the amazing craftsmen found here, the making of things, including cloth, garments, armor, tools, metalwork, illuminations, carvings, and all the amazingly talented people who embody the SCA.
Alison Wodehalle lived in late 14th century southeastern England, in Kent. Alison can be found borrowing from other cultures such as 15th century southern India, or 10th century Sweden. Her passion is needlework and costuming.
Offices & Positions
- 2003-2005 Deputy Pursuivant for Hartshorn-dale.
- -More than 20 submissions of devices, and badges, and about 10 names.
- 2005-2009 Chatelaine for Hartshorn-dale.
- -Held Newcomer meetings every month
- 2007-2009 Southern Region Deputy Chatelaine.
- -Held semi-annual meetings for the southern region
- 2009-2013 East Kingdom Chatelaine.
- -Wrote the Greeting and Mission statement for on the EK chatelaine webpage.
- -Revised the Chatelaine policies after about 40 hours of research of the policies of other kingdoms, and the policies of the EK Seneschal to maintain consistency between offices.
- -Refined the role of the regional deputies so they aligned with the duties of the seneschal regional deputies.
- -Trained my deputy to be able to take over the role should the need arise.
- (After stepping down, Alison took a break to finish her degree)
- Deputy to the Branch Polling Clerk (A deputy to the EK Seneschal). Oct 2015 to 2019.
- -Received and counted every polling during this period, and forwarded to kingdom seneschal. This was during the year that seemingly every barony conducted a polling.
- September 2018 to 2022 Chair for Committee re: potential change in group status to Barony
- -Conducted meetings for the Hartshorn-dale populace at regular intervals from October 2018 to September 2019 The populace discussed items needed to change status including buy-in from members of group, completing the list given to us by kingdom, having a section in the charter regarding the coronet, and whether there will be awards and what form those will take.
- -Wrote sections to be added to group charter regarding coronet, researched other baronial charters and by-laws, and held discussions with populace, editing to incorporate ideas from populace.
- -Submitted four new pieces of heraldry for Hartshorn-dale that will potentially become awards (These have since been registered)
- -In 2019 the decision was made to hold until we had more deputies for our officers, to hold polling at a later date.
- -Polling went out in summer 2021. In the 2 years since deciding to hold the polling, we have not only filled the primary deputy positions, but have deputies for nearly every office and two for seneschal, with several people already looking ahead to fall elections. We received word in September 2022 that our petition for status change to Barony has been approved by the BoD, and announced in Royal Court at Ducal Challenge.
- December 2018- December 2019 Pursuivant for Hartshorn-dale. Looking forward to working with the heraldic community again!
- -remaining herald-at-large after stepping up as seneschal. Hoping to train others in heraldry!
- -Submitted 7 pieces of heraldry and two names.
- January 2020-December 2021 Seneschal Shire of Hartshorn-dale.
- -Created a weekly on-line gathering called "Brunch with Hartshorn-dale" to help with group socialization post Covid.
- -Working with HHD membership to completely revise Hartshorn-dale's group charter, taking a section at each business meeting.
- -Working with a deputy new to the role so that he can learn how to step into the seneschal role.
- Jan 2022 to current Deputy Seneschal
- Event Steward Greenlane (a weekend long camping & demo event for approximately 10,000 visitors) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008.
- Event Steward Nova Schola (Schola event running 6 classrooms and a full dayboard). 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Registrar and Head Gate for Sundered Shields and Masked Measures. 2008, 2009.
- Registrar and Head Gate for Spring Crown Tourney. Apr 2011.
- Registrar and Head Gate for Dining with Lorenzo. Apr 2012.
- Event Steward for the known world event: Known World Arts and Sciences Symposium March 2018
- -Put together bid package, created budget, and staff, organized classes, and was able to attract two internationally known speakers (Gale Owen Crocker and Robin Netherton) who are both well respected researchers and authors, to teach classes and give keynote address. This symposium offered 7 tracks of classes on nearly everything A&S over a weekend, as well as evening activities both Friday and Saturday, and an A&S display.
- Registrar and Head Gate for Harts and Horns. Oct 2022
- Event Steward for EK Bardic Champs February 2023.
- Class Coordinator for Nova Schola. Mar 2023
Classes and other service
- Contact person for the Shire of Hartshorn-dale: Philadelphia Inquirer for human interest article about the SCA in June 2008.
- Assisting at the many demos held by Hartshorn-dale from Fall 2002 to 2010, including the 20 or so that held the summer of 2004 when the Montgomery County library system had a medieval theme for its summer reading program
- Coordinator Newcomer Social at Pennsic, Joint venture of the 3 hosting kingdoms, East, Middle, & Aethelmearc: 2009, 2011
- Wrote the following guides for Newcomers, some of which have posted across the Known World, and on Stefan’s Florilegium (permissions were requested)
- -AoA’s, Barons, and Laurels: a Guide to Awards in the SCA
- -Attending Your First Feast
- -Camping and Pennsic
- -Attending Your First Event
- -Minimum Requirement: Garb!
- -Persona, Do I Need One?
- -What Language Are You Speaking? (A dictionary of SCA terminology)
- Seamstress: Investiture gown: Gothic Fitted Dress for a Baroness of Bhakail
- Seamstress: Coronation gown: 2 Gothic Fitted Dresses for Queen Aikaterine
- Made approximately 30 painted silk favors for distribution to youth fighters at Pennsic 2016
- Seamstress for several embroidered hoods given away and one for Hartshorn-dale's auction.
- Illuminated box painted for EK fundraiser.
Classes (not at Pennsic)
- Held several workshops for groups for the Gothic Fitted Dress at home or other people's homes.
- Many individual fittings and teaching on the Gothic Fitted Dress as people requested assistance.
- Hosted and taught Silk Banner painting at her home. 2014, 2015
- Applique in the Middle Ages. 2021 Embroidery Schola (online BBM hosting)
- Gothic Fitted Dress. demo and lecture class. 2004, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011 (also taught this class at SRWC)
- Survey of Sleeves. Demo and lecture class. 2006, 2007.
- Newcomer classes (variety of topics based on the guides listed above) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Recruitment and Retention. 2012
- Site Tokens roundtable co-host 2018, 2019.
- Felt Needlebook Make and Take. 2017, 2018, 2019.
- Silk Painting (Paint a silk fan to take home) 2013, 2014.
- Applique in the Middle Ages". 2022
- Goldwork Sampler. A three day intensive course on Goldwork basics. 2022
Pennsic Service: Alison has attended every Pennsic since joining the SCA in 2002, and feels that it takes everyone to make an event of this size run, so she always does a shift or two at Troll, a safety/security shift, and teaches a couple classes. She occasionally retains for their majesties and/or their highnesses at Pennsic. She also runs her encampment.
- AoA 2005
- Seamstress to the Crown 2007
- Order of the Silver Crescent 2015
- Order of the Maunche 2019
I have enjoyed many activities in the SCA including Dance, particularly English Country Dance and the French Bransles; archery (as long as I use my lighter weight bow, so it does not twang my arm); thrown weapons (I enjoy throwing axes, knives still scare me a little); lastly I enjoy painting, I've made a number of painted tables and boxes, as well as my camp's gate, which are painted with intricate illuminated scenes usually using 13th - 14th century manuscripts as inspiration. I would love to build a medieval garden in my yard, and a labyrinth in my garden.
My blog http://wodehallesmusings.net/
Keeper's of Athena's Thimble https://thimble.eastkingdom.org/
In Case of Court
Alison prefers not being surprised. Alison is a protege of Master Rowen Cloteworthy. You may contact him with any comments, or concerns, or if a question of court arises. Alison's significant other is Brandr Bjorndall (Brendan Weir), you may contact him regarding making certain she gets to court. Should a question of peerage arise, a writ is strongly preferred.
Pronouns are she/her