Shannon inghean Bhriain uí Dhuilleáin
'Bantiarna Shannon inghean Bhriain uí Dhuilleáin
'Azure, a dog's head couped contourny between three mullets and on a chief argent three shamrocks vert.
|Award & Office Badges|
Bantiarna Shannon inghean Bhriain uí Dhuilleáin, pleased to meet you! My very first event was NRWC in July 2000, after which I promptly lost track of the SCA for nearly four years. I rediscovered it after I was discharged from the Army in the Barony of Western Seas, Caid (Hawaii). I have since lived and played in four kingdoms (Caid, Atlantia, West and East). Yep, that's Snoopy on my arms! The blazon is simply a white dog's head, cut off at the neck. It's not breed-specific, so I take artistic liberties. And yes, it is rendered thus on my AoA scroll. :-)
I am a member of House Rosegate and protege to Mistress Arianna Morgan (Atlantia).
Unto all nobles and gentles to whom these present letters come, greetings! Tis I, Bantiarna Shannon inghaen Bhriain ui Dhuilleain. I am a young noblewoman of fifteenth century Ireland. My father, Tiarna Bhrian O Dhuilleain, heads a small, prosperous household with my mother, Bantiarna Anlaith ingen Taidc, in the earldom of Kildare.
The youngest of their seven children and the only girl, I was born on the seventeenth day of May in the year 1460. My father, a free man, was quite loyal to Thomas Fitzgerald Earl Kildare, who became Lord Deputy Thomas when I was eleven years of age. As a girl, I loved to ride the horses of the estate across the rolling green fields. I received a noble's education growing up - I am literate, and I can speak English in addition to my own native Gaelic. In addition, I learned many things a woman is supposed to know - sewing and embroidery, knitting, and cooking, running a household. Most of these lessons seemed superfluous to me, since the house was always abuzz with servants doing all but the last of these very tasks for us.
Lord Deputy Thomas' son Garret was only a few years my senior, and I fancied him greatly, despite knowledge that if he did marry, it would be for the good of the land and the advancement of his clan - neither of which he would achieve by choosing me. By the time Garret took his father's place, I was seventeen years old and I had all but forgotten my infatuation with him, as I had fallen head-over-heels for a mysterious fellow of eastern lineage who sporadically passed in and out of my life as his travels and my own caused us to cross paths many a time. This displeased my father, who wanted nothing more than to see me settled down and married to a good Irishman.
((Work-in-progress ... the "mysterious fellow of eastern lineage" alludes to my ex-husband's persona, so clearly this is in need of some updating!))
Offices & Positions
- Pursuivant Extraordinary at Large, Atlantia, December 2015 to Present
- Deputy Snowflake Pursuivant, Barony of Concordia of the Snows (East), July 2017 to Present
- Chronicler, Canton of Bard's Keep (Caid), March 2004 to August 2005
- Chronicler, Barony of Lochmere (Atlantia), December 2005 to July 2007
- Waterbearer, Barony of Lochmere (Atlantia), June 2006 to July 2007
- Chatelaine, Barony of Eskalya (West), November 2007 to September 2008
- Seneschal, College of St. Guinefort (West), May 2008 to September 2008
- MoAS, Barony of Eskalya (West), June 2008 to September 2008
- Archery Marshal, Barony of Eskalya (West), June 2008 to September 2008
- Herald, Barony of Lochmere (Atlantia), October 2009 to October 2011
- Chatelaine, Barony of Lochmere (Atlantia), December 2009 to December 2011
- Archery Champion, Barony of Lochmere (Atlantia), May 2010 to May 2011
- A&S Champion, Barony of Concordia of the Snows (East), May 2016 to May 2017
- Autocrat, Baronial Birthday and Investiture, 09/10/2010-09/12/2010
- A&S Coordinator, Battle on the Bay, 09/11/2015-09/13/2015
- A&S Coordinator, Nacht in der Stadt, 04/23/2016
Projects & Publications
- Shannon of All Trades: A record of my A&S projects.
- Fifty States of the SCA: A personal challenge in celebration of A.S. L to attend an event in each of the fifty states, with an emphasis on forming friendships, studying inter-kingdom anthropology, and gifting largesse.
Awards and Achievements
- Award of Arms (Caid) 1/15/2005
- Companion of the Opal (Atlantia) 9/23/2006
- Companion of the Blasted Oak (Lochmere, Atlantia) 9/23/2006
- Companion of the Eagle's Feather (Lochmere, Atlantia) 8/7/2007
- Baronial Award of Excellence (Lochmere, Atlantia) 8/7/2007
- Princess' Riband (Oertha, West) 1/19/2008
- Companion of the Silver Bough (Eskalya, West) 6/28/2008
- Companion of the Wandering Wolves of Oertha (Oertha, West) 9/21/2008
- Companion of the Golden Arrow (Lochmere, Atlantia) 1/15/2011
- Baroness' Award of Courtesy (Lochmere, Atlantia) 5/9/2015
- Award of the Undine (Atlantia) 10/1/2016