Order of the Laurel
|This article is a stub. You can help the East Kingdom wiki by expanding it.|
Don't know what information to put? See our Templates Page.
The Order of the Laurel is one of the four SCA Bestowed Peerages, along with the Order of Chivalry, the Order of the Pelican, and the Order of Defense.
Companions of the Order of the Laurel (or 'Laurels') have been recognized by the Crown for their exemplary arts, along with their consistent display of the virtues of Grace, Courtesy and Chivalric Demeanor. Their elevation is accompanied by a Patent of Arms (the highest level of arms).
As for the virtues, the SCA Governing Documents state the requirements for any Peerage candidates:
"They shall have:
- been obedient to the governing documents of the Society and the laws of the kingdom.
- consistently shown respect for the Crown of the kingdom.
- set an example of courteous and noble behavior suitable to a peer of the realm.
- demonstrated support for the aims and ideals of the Society by being authentic in dress, equipment and behavior as is within their power.
- shared their knowledge and skills with others.
- practiced hospitality according to their means and as appropriate to the circumstances.
- made every effort to learn and practice those skills desirable at and worthy of a civilized court. To this end they should have some knowledge of a wide range of period forms, including but not limited to literature, dancing, music, heraldry, and chess, and they should have some familiarity with combat as practiced in the Society.
- participated in Society re-creations of several aspects of the culture of the Middle Ages and Renaissance."
The Governing Documents also state that the duties of the members of the order include:
- setting an example of courtesy and chivalrous conduct.
- respecting the Crown of the kingdom; supporting and upholding the laws of the kingdom and the governing documents of the Society.
- (if the member has sworn fealty to the Crown) supporting and upholding the Crown of his or her kingdom.
- enriching the kingdom by sharing his or her knowledge and skills.
- advising the Crown on the advancement of candidates for the Laurel.
Symbols of the Order
Elevation to the Order
(to be added)
History of the Order of the Laurel
|Awards of the East Kingdom|
| Society Awards: Award of Arms, Grant of Arms, Court Barony, Chivalry, Laurel, Pelican, Defense, Royal Peerage, Rose|
Armigerous Orders: Silver Rapier, Silver Tyger, Silver Brooch, Apollo's Arrow, Silver Wheel