Kay Leigh Mac Whyte
Baroness Kay Leigh Mac Whyte, OL, OP at Pennsic War XLII.
Photo courtesy of Baroness Cateline la Broderesse.
Sable, three quill pens in pile argent and a bordure rayonny gyronny Or and gules.
|Award & Office Badges|
- 1 Kay Leigh Mac Whyte, aka Kayleigh McWhyte, aka Vanna della Bianca or Cellach Mac Faoitigh, aka "Baroness Dude"
- 2 Persona
- 3 Activities / Stuff I Do At Events
- 4 Affiliations
- 5 Advisory Roles
- 6 Current Apprentices and Protegés (Apprentigés?)
- 7 Students
- 8 Lineage
- 9 Teaching Opportunities
- 10 Officer Positions Held and Event Staff
- 11 In Case of Court
- 12 Scribal Websites
- 13 Titles, Other positions, Honors, & Awards Held
- 14 Other Affiliations
Kay Leigh Mac Whyte, aka Kayleigh McWhyte, aka Vanna della Bianca or Cellach Mac Faoitigh, aka "Baroness Dude"
(Pronounced KAY-lee Mak White)
Registered as Kay Leigh Mac Whyte, OL, OP. (Alternate name Cellach Mac Faoitigh is pronounced KELL-ah Mak Fwite)
I began my journey through the SCA in 1984, when I was still very young, as an annual visitor to the Browns Road Renaissance Fair Demo in Ostgardr/An Dubhaigeainn. Each year, I would make a beeline for the hay bales to watch the fencers and fighters, and occasionally stop by the nice people under the big yellow pavillion labeled "Society for Creative Anachronism". Years passed, and I continued as a fringe player, attending a demo held at one of my colleges, Long Island University C.W. Post campus. Following graduation and a move to western PA (Stormsport area, Æthelmearc), just a couple of hours north of this thing some local friends called "Pennsic", I eventually found my way back to the Barony of An Dubhaigeainn, back to that same exact demo on Memorial Day weekend of 1998. After speaking with the Baronial Chatelaine, I joined the SCA and jumped in with both feet, learning archery at my first event as a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism on June 24, 1998.
Although I spent many years on the western border of An Dubhaigeainn, my travels often took me to most of the central and northern parts of the Southern Region, as well as frequently to Dragonship Haven, and Barony Beyond the Mountain, mostly for archery events at first. Eventually I found out who to speak to about working on scrolls for the Kingdom (Duchess Katherine was the Tyger Clerk of the Signet at the time), and also around the same time, I introduced a longtime friend from college (Ryan McWhyte) to the SCA.
The rest, as they say, is history...
Scottish/English Archer, circa 1350
Activities / Stuff I Do At Events
- Scribe (Calligraphy and Illumination)
- Archery Marshal
- Voice herald
- Equestrian (still very new at this)
- Fingerloop braiding
Married to Ryan Mac Whyte (Ryan McWhyte)
Graduated Apprentice of Jonathan Blaecstan
Currently Involved In:
- East Kingdom College of Scribes
- East Kingdom Stationers Guild
Laurel advisor to Vicerene Lada Monguligin (Calligraphy & Illumination).
On September 16, 2016, my formal Laurel/Pelican relationship with Lada had to end upon the occasion of her investiture, so she may be in fealty only to the Crown and her Populace. By her request, she remains as a member of my extended Laurel/Pelican family tree, and I currently hold her "In Case of Peerage" letter, as she continues to strive for her own excellence in the Arts and Service.
Current Apprentices and Protegés (Apprentigés?)
- Lady Magdalena the Migrant, aka Magdalena Lantfarerin, aka "Ungrateful Child" (who is anything but ungrateful) (calligraphy and illumination) - student relationship formalized in October 2016, apprenticed at Mudthaw in Settmour Swamp on March 24, 2018.
I have one formal student.
- Lady Raffaella Mascolo (Illumination) - Moved to Atenveldt, July 2014, then Midrealm (2016), and now back again to the East (2017). Raffaela is a protege of my husband, Master Ryan Mac Whyte, OP.
The following gentles are part of my legacy, each has graduated on to be a Peer in their own right, and their achievements are their own:
- Elsa de Lyon (Calligraphy & Illumination) - Elevated to the Order of the Laurel at Southern Region War Camp (Barony of Carillion), June 28, 2014
- Heather Rose Mac Gordon (Calligraphy and Illumination, Bookbinding) - Elevated to the Order of the Laurel at War of the Roses (Barony of Concordia of the Snows), May 28, 2016
- Lada Monguligin (Calligraphy & Illumination, Service) - Released from formal apprentice/protege to serve as Vicerene of Ostgardr, September 16, 2016. Retained as family and as her Laurel/Pelican advisor upon her request.
- Vettorio Antonello (C&I, Voice Heralding, Service) - Elevated to the Order of the Laurel at A Funny Thing Happened to St. Andrew on the Way to the Forum / An Dubhaigeainn Investiture, September 16, 2017
I am frequently found traveling within a 4 hour radius of Barony Beyond the Mountain, and will be available for occasional informal lessons along my travels as scheduling permits. After my last term as Tyger Clerk of the Signet ended in January 2015, I took a break from teaching until May to explore the world and raid- er, visit our friends in Æthelmearc (and hope to do so again someday), as a member of their College of Scribes too. I am primarily a teacher of calligraphy and illumination, having worked in many styles of C&I from Roman era to later period document style scrolls (including work in cadels).
I am also knowledgeable in how to create a document style scroll, and had access until the end of my last term in office as Tyger Clerk of the Signet to the Seals of the Kingdom of the East, for use on armigerous (AoA, GoA, PoA), Cypher, Augmentation, King's Order of Excellence, Letters of Marque, and Tyger of the East scrolls done as documents. Please refer to the EK Wiki page about the Seals of the Kingdom of the East for more information on the seals themselves, who to send inquiries to, and more cool information on how seal impressions are made as an *optional* feature of scrolls made here in the East Kingdom.
Officer Positions Held and Event Staff
- Award Scheduler / Signet Office Liason, Reign of Brion III and Anna III
- Scroll coordinator for the East Kingdom History Booth & Display, AS 50 Year Celebration, June 2016
- East Kingdom Tyger Clerk of the Signet - January 2011 - January 17, 2015
- Company Captain of Archers (Beyond the Mountain) - November 2006 - October 2010
- Company Captain of Archers (An Dubhaigeainn) - June 2002 - June 2005
- Archery Marshal In-Charge or Support Marshal for multiple events (2002 to Present)
- Field (Combat) Scribe for various reigns
- Voice herald for various royal courts and tournaments
In Case of Court
Although I do not expect further recognition, I prefer not to know in advance (surprises are appreciated). Please notify my husband, Ryan, for POC, who will in turn notify my households and dependents.
Titles: As noted above, I really don't expect further recognition. I'd love to be called into court and someday receive a scroll under my alternate name, Vanna della Bianca, and my preferred gender identity is female in persona and out. I will not correct you if you call me Lady by accident, because that is still one of my titles, and was and is both an honor and joy for me to hold. If you call me by my full OP list of titles including current job/officer titles, however, I am going to think I stepped into something deep and need a ladder after digging myself out of a self-made pit.
Scroll notes for the Signet Office:
My husband and I combined have scrolls made by Geoffrei St. Albans, Edward MacGuyver, Adele (not Elsa) de Lyon, Sarra the Lymner, Jonathan Blaecstan, Ellesbeth Donofrey, Kis Maria, Vettorio Antonello, Anne Elaina of River's Bend, Ro Honig von Sommerfeldt and Carolyne de la Pointe, Eva Woderose, Altani Khatagani, Anastasia Heinrich, and myself. We love each one, and have framed these beautiful pieces of art and words by our friends and the Crowns who gave them. I'd rather we not potentially repeat a scroll assignment to any of these talented artists, to give someone else a chance to shine, and while I would love anything made by one of my dependents, past or present, I am also a fan of some of the scribes who have retired or are not currently receiving much work due to living in far places (on the outer borders of the Kingdom, across Kingdom borders, or possibly up and coming but perhaps not yet known to everyone else to be requested). Please prioritize them over my own dependents if possible, thank you. <3
- Note: Former 8m.com sites are now defunct. Images from these sites are unfortunately only available in thumbnail size upon request, but mostly live on in the Photobucket website listed above.
Titles, Other positions, Honors, & Awards Held
- Guildmistress / Founder: Drake University for Courtly Kingdom Scribes
(D.U.C.K.S. - aka "Duck U.) - Barony of An Dubhaigeainn Scribal Guild: June 2000 - present
- East Kingdom King's A&S Champion, Kelson I (see King's and Queen's Arts and Sciences Champions)
- Champion of Archers for An Dubhaigeainn: November 2001 - November 2002