Christina Jenevra de Carvalhal
Baroness Christina Jenevra de Carvalhal
Paly argent and sable, on a chief triangular azure a closed book palewise Or.
|Award & Office Badges|
After years of thinking "that might be fun" Jenevra and family joined the SCA in 2008. Proud members of the House of the Silver Scorpion.
I am keen on my art of bookbinding. Please see my ongoing blog for examples of my work and research. Jenevra's Blog.
Mundanely known as Christine Connors. Christine's husband Matt Connors is known in the Society as Fearghus O'Conchobhair.
Portuguese. 1475 - 1535
Offices, Positions and Awards
- Librarian, Shire of Buckland Cross, 03/18/2009 to present
- Herald, Shire of Buckland Cross, May 2011 to May 2013
- Minister of Arts and Sciences, Shire of Buckland Cross, January 17, 2013 to July 2015
- Webminister, Shire of Buckland Cross, 2013 to present
- Chatelaine, Shire of Buckland Cross, July 2015 to present
- Deputy Seneschal, Shire of Buckland Cross, April 2017 to present
- Chief of Staff and Webminister, Royal Household of Ivan and Matilde, May 2017 to April 2018
- Royal Favor Coordinator, Omega and Etheldreda
- Warranted Webminister-at-Large
- East Kingdom Deputy Webminister, Design, 2017 - present
- AoA, January 2011
- Order of the Maunche, River War IV, September 6, AS 48 (2013)
- Court Barony, Southern Region War Camp, AS 50 (2015)
- Writ, Order of the Laurel, Birka, AS LII
- Company of the Pennon of the East, Gulf Wars XXVII (2018), AS LII
- Order of the Silver Crescent, Mudthaw - Nowruz Comes to the Swamp, March 24, 2018, AS LII
- King's Cypher, Tsar Ivan, Last Court, April 7, 2018, AS LII
- Apprentice and Protegé of Master Iheronimus Brückner
Event Staff & Teaching
- Event Steward, Artisan's Village, 2017
- Paper and Scribal Arts Village Coordinator, Bookbinding Teacher, Artisan's Village, 2015-2016
- Teacher, Bookbinding, Artisan's Village at Mudthaw, 2016
- Teacher, Girdle Bookbinding and Medieval Bookmarks, Pennsic, 2016 & 2017
- Royal Favor Coordinator, Omega & Etheldreda
- Autocrat, Mad Medieval Science Fair, 10/13, 11/14
- Deputy Autocrat, Mad Medieval Science Fair, 11/12
- Teacher, Coptic Bookbinding, Shire of Buckland Cross A&S Night and East Kingdom University Collegium, 2012
- Autocrat, Wrightstown Renaissance Faire Demo, 2011-2012
- Teacher, Bookbinding and Medieval Distillation and Use of Essential Oils, Wrightstown Renaissance Faire, 09/11
- Teacher, Children's Papermaking and Bookbinding, Crown Tourney, 5/11
- Teacher, Medieval Distillation and Use of Essential Oils, Wrightstown Renaissance Faire, 09/10
- Teaching Assistant, Glass Bead Making, Wrightstown Renaissance Faire, 09/10
- Teaching Assistant, Glass Bead Making, Wrightstown Renaissance Faire, 09/09
Projects & Publications
- My favorite books to bind are in the mudejar style. Early attempts can be seen at right Alethea's Vigil Book.
- Blank bound books (for Vigils) for Mistresses Althea, Honig, Sabine, Auriana, Heather, Katheryn and Masters Rowen and Nicholas, Sir Rory and Sir Ivan .
- SCA Swaps - Vade Mecum, Girdle, and Suede bound books.
- Paper and pasteboard making.
- Digitized a book & materials repair manual I wrote in graduate school.
- Award scrolls, Maunche, Silver Crescent and Pelican, in a variety of forms: gameboard, letterpressed text and carved wood blocks.
I have recorded some of my work at Christine's Compendium.
Jenevra, as she prefers to be called, is happy to teach the following classes:
- Essential Oils
- Lucet Basics
- The Organization of Knowledge in Period
Court Will / In Case of Peerage
- My husband Fearghus O'Conchobhair has my ICOP letter. As to Court, I don't mind being surprised but it's really hard to do that. I pick up on people's behaviors and then start guessing. And fretting. Morning and roving courts are best for surprises! Writs are good too!
- I LOVE the scrolls I have been gifted - so grateful to the artists! I would just a little bit like one with some goldwork on it - the styles I have are in other traditions.
Some of these are likely outdated - I promise to clean them up!
Care to be social? I can be found on G+